Here’s how you can help:
- become more familiar with speech and language milestones
- help to educate parents about normal speech and language milestones
- encourage parents to check their child’s speech and language development
- reinforce the importance of early identification
information for service providers
It’s often hard for parents to know if their child has a speech and language problem. They should trust their instincts. Providers of service to children and young families have an important role in supporting parents.
The smallTALK centralized referral phone line allows anyone - parents, early childhood educators, doctors and other service providers to refer a child to a Speech Language Pathologist for assessment. If a parent is concerned about the way their child’s speech and language skills are developing they should be encouraged to call 519-272-8216 or 1-866-333-7716 and ask for smallTALK. With a parents consent, someone else can make a referral to smallTALK on their behalf.
The following is a list of web sites you may want to visit for more information. smallTALK cannot be held accountable for any use or misuse of any information found on these web sites.
Speech and Language Websites
- The Hanen Centre
- Speech Language & Audiology Canada
- Communicative Disorders Assistant Association of Canada
- International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- American Speech - Language Hearing Association
- Ontario Association for Families of Children with Communication Disorders
Preschool Speech and Language Programs
There are 31 provincially funded preschool speech and language programs in Ontario. The Ministry of Children and Youth Services website has a complete listing of these programs and local access phone numbers.
- TykeTALK - Thames Valley Preschool Speech and Services
- Wee Talk - The Preschool Speech and Language Services of Ontario's Wellington & Dufferin Counties
- First Words Preschool Speech and Language Program of Ottawa
- Chatham Kent Preschool Speech and Language
- Essex Preschool Speech and Language (Windsor)
Child Health and Development Websites
- Canadian Institute of Child Health
- Invest in Kids
- Canadian Health Network - Children's Health
- Voices 4 Children
Health Unit Websites
- Perth District Health Unit - Healthy Babies/Healthy Children
- Huron Country Health Unit - Child Health
Resources for Parents
smallTALK has various resources and services available for service providers in Huron and Perth counties. Print materials such as parent and service provider brochures, fact sheets, growth charts, posters and stickers are available at no cost. Educational sessions for parent groups as well as service providers can also be arranged. or more information or to obtain copies call 519-272-8216 or 1-866-333-7716 and ask for smallTALK.